“You make a living by what you get . . .you make a life by what you give.”
— Winston Churchill
Annual Fund Campaign
Why Support the Symphony? Music is a human expression and defines people and cultures. Famous legal scholar and pragmatist, Oliver Wendell Holmes, said:
“Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.”
When you support the Western Piedmont Symphony with your financial gifts you sustain:
- The First Place American Prize-Winning orchestra in the professional division.
- A variety of performances each season – 5 Masterworks concerts by the entire orchestra; 4 Chamber Classics concerts by the resident string quartet; 2 Youth Symphony performances;
- One of only two professional orchestras in Western North Carolina.
- A string quartet residency offering high quality chamber music concerts to a wide variety of audiences – Rug Concerts for children to Silver Serenades for the aging.
- The Western Piedmont Youth Symphony – the largest in the region serving 80 students from 8 surrounding counties; and need-based scholarships for some students.
- Outdoor concerts in downtown Hickory and across the region drawing thousands of people.
- In-school concerts for over 30,000 students each year.
- The largest employer of professional musicians in the region at a time of economic downturns and recovery.
What is the Annual Fund? At the Western Piedmont Symphony, the Annual fund is made up of hundreds of unrestricted gifts. These gifts are used to support our primary mission of providing musical performances of distinction that enrich and enliven the community’s classical music experience.
Ways of Giving: Gifts from our friends provide the support to ensure our tradition of musical excellence. You can make your gift by check, credit card, online giving, corporate matches, or planned giving.
Every gift – large or small – is important to us, and will be acknowledged in our annual program book. THANK YOU for your gift! Our Western Piedmont Symphony depends on your generosity!
The continued existence of the Western Piedmont Symphony depends on the generous gifts of individual supporters, businesses, and organizations. The WPS Endowment Fund is a permanent trust fund created to strengthen the financial foundation of the Symphony organization. You can help by including the Symphony in your estate plan. Opportunities to make a special gift to the WPS Endowment include:
Gifts of Cash and Securities Life Insurance and Bequests
Retirement Plans (IRA’s, 401(k) plans, qualified profit-sharing plans and 403(b) plans
Matching Funds through your Employer
For more information and details, without obligation, please contact Western Piedmont Symphony Endowment Program, 243 3rd Avenue, NE, Suite 1, Hickory, NC 28601. You can also contact the WPS Executive Director (828)324-8603. Your consideration and support are greatly needed and appreciated.